8.13.2010

Laughter IS the best medicine


When I was a little girl, I can remember my mom buying the Readers Digest magazines, and reading 'Laughter, the Best Medicine' sections to our family.  We'd laugh so hard that we'd almost, well, sometimes we did pee our pants, ok, it was me, I peed my pants.  She'd also read us a daily helping of my fave Erma Bombeck.  Sometimes I couldn't understand why Erma couldn't wait for her kids to grow up and pay their own bills, but, oh, how I get it now.   As far back as I can remember, laughter  and smiles were an important part of our family life.  During good times and bad, we always watched for the light at the end of the tunnel, we'd find the ray of sunshine, or the cloud with silver lining every time.  Some people call us crazy optimists, I just think we were happy people.  Today, I still am, even in the rough times.   I love to laugh, and cry, I'm just a mess sometimes, but, God has shown that life can be pretty good most days, and ultimately, I'll be in a place so much better than this place ever could be.  Can you imagine how much laughter and smiling we'll see in heaven?!?!  Now, I'll get to the actual point of this post, please forgive my way big A-D-D moment:)
Well, I'm notorious for being out at restaurants, grocery stores and such and listening in on observing other people and how they interact with their families.   Well, last night I happened to be out to eat with my sweet man Mr. Homemaker and noticed a few families surrounding us, and there was not one single smile, not one, on any of the 12 faces sitting around those tables, and on top of that, none of those people laughed the entire time they were sitting.  Now, don't think they were so involved with their meals that they had no time to breath, let alone talk, these families were not lookin too happy.  I may have caught all of them on a bad day, no, I don't think so.  I'm afraid that this is representive of what alot of families are going through today.  Everyone is always in a hurry, going to and fro.  Texting, myspacing , facebooking, emailing, twittering, shopping, going to movies, sporting events, practices, and on and on  I'm afraid what has happened is that with all of this technology, and entertainment, we've lost sight of some important things such as talking, laughing together, crying together, eating dinner at the table together, playing games, taking walks, communicating face to face!  It makes me sad for all of the kids who will grow up and not have memories of time spent with their parents.  And I promise you parents, if you don't make an effort now to spend valuable quality time with your kids, it's only going to get more difficult.  I've failed so many times, however, I know so many more times than not, I have succeeded.  My kids know how much I love them, and they know they can talk to me about anything, and sometimes they do:)  Take time today to get on your knees and ask God to bring joy and peace and desire for time together, to your family.  I know he will honor that prayer. 

I love you all so much, have a wonderful weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment